These forums are read-only!
slicehost Quick Zone Creator - Easy way to add zones to slices!
  • I needed a tool to whip out zones quickly, so in slicehost spirit I made the slicehost Quick Zone Creator. I just created 10 zones in 5 minutes!
    You can create zones & their records quickly with an option to add MX and SPF records for google apps, or your slice.

All you need is your API key, a domain name (zone), and your slice's IP.

Working Demo (GUI)
    slicehost.technologyaz.com

Get your own! (GUI + Command line)
    Comes with working GUI, or you can use it on the command line.
    GitHub

• that's awesome, thanks!

Exactly what I needed :)
  • Nice one !

could u share us with the code ? so we can use another future for it ? or its not a opensource ?
  • Code is available at the GitHub link in his original post.
  • Awesome, tweeted!
  • Really awesome although , I am getting Failure from the script when trying to setup Google App records . May have to resort to doing this longhand
  • Posted By: kbbruxReally awesome although , I am getting Failure from the script when trying to setup Google App records . May have to resort to doing this longhand

I just keep around one of my spare domains with all the correct records for my setup (including Google Apps DNS records) and clone it when needed and delete/modify anything in it I don't need.
  • Posted By: hyperialI just keep around one of my spare domains with all the correct records for my setup (including Google Apps DNS records) and clone it when needed and delete/modify anything in it I don't need.

I have an example.info with my standard setup (Google Apps + Wildcard) and clone it. You don't actually have to own a domain name to create it in the manager.
  • Thanks, it takes no time to set it up .
  • I'm thrilled that I've helped some people out. Since making this I've laid out a more robust version. Now I just need the time to make it! If you have a suggestion for just post it here for discussion! Thanks for the comments!

• Version 1.00 - Added Templates & Success Log Report

Online GUI - slicehost.technologyaz.com | Get your own @ GitHub

Help others and add your templates in the forum or push them to github, I'll incorporate them into the demo too!

• Posted By: Dianoga You don't actually have to own a domain name to create it in the manager.

Yea, but it's still better to make it something obscure... 1293728937329847.com or something. Technically, someone could own a normal domain like example.info... And in the narrow, narrow chance they get a VPS here and point their domain to SH DNS servers, it could collide with what you put in. That's why I use one of my own domains. :-)
  • You can use example.com .net or .org as those names are reserved and cannot be registered (or at least, won't be coming to slicehost).
  • keep in mind you can't duplicate zones at Slicehost. In other words, not more than one person can have an 'example.com' dns zone.

You are better have a _very_ obscure domain if you are going to go down that route.

PickledOnion
  • Posted By: PickledOnionkeep in mind you can't duplicate zones at Slicehost. In other words, not more than one person can have an 'example.com' dns zone.

You are better have a _very_ obscure domain if you are going to go down that route.

PickledOnion

Didn't think of that...this is probably not a great plan then. Any possibility of integrating the quick zone creator into the slice manager?
  • I'm willing to go the distance, if not the Slice Manager, it'd be possible to enhance the functionality of the zone creator to do more of Slice Manager's job.

• Posted By: Dianoga

Didn't think of that...this is probably not a great plan then. Any possibility of integrating the quick zone creator into the slice manager?

Hi,

Although it is a great product and suggestion, we aren't able to incorporate 3rd party items into the Slicemanager. It impinges on the boring realms of responsibility, legal implications if something went wrong, etc :(

However, I will encourage Blaine to carry on as it seems to be a very popular and useful tool :)

PickledOnion
  • Hey .. i tried this script and its look very qick and awesome but ! after everything done and i make my domain like www.albashiti.com its works fine ...

but when i / somebody opened like http://albashiti.com < without "www" first .. its get like 1 mnt waiting then redirecting to www.albashiti.com and sometimes doesnt work ! "Address not founf"

so is that okay ? or should i fix something to make it work without redirect to www.albashiti.com so if anyone opened like http://albashiti.com its open very quick like www.albashiti.com works ...

regards
    ./Feras
  • First, make sure you are using the most recent version, there aren't many, but its important.

Second, check your DNS zone and make sure you have the appropriate A records for your domain.

Finally, make sure your template is correct. Follow the instructions included and all should go well. Post any questions you have and I'll be glad to help.