These forums are read-only!
fs on slice may crash - beware
  • I spent like 1/2 a day trying to figure out the why doesn't Trac work. The final point was that it won't work with environment placed in /var/www/some/dir but any other folder would do. Bizarre. The solution, though, was to run fsck that printed

e2fsck 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006) /dev/sda1 is mounted.

WARNING!!! Running e2fsck on a mounted filesystem may cause SEVERE filesystem damage.

Do you really want to continue (y/n)? yes

/dev/sda1: recovering journal

/dev/sda1: clean, 41954/1245184 files, 334917/2490368 blocks

and thereby fixed the journal.

One more gotcha: Trac for amd64 is broken in Feisty because of clearsilver that, in turn, is broken under python 2.5. More on this: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/clearsilver/+bug/86685

• whoops, fs tends to crash regularly....

• I would expect you to have a lot of filesystem problems after saying "yes" to that particular prompt. What lead you to believe it was necessary in the first place? (What error message did trac give? Was there dmesg output relating to filesystem corruption before running fsck the first time?) Why did you ignore the warning and run fsck on a live system instead of on reboot or in slicehost's new recovery mode?

• yeah, that screwed things up even worse. trac would say that it can't read file that was definitely in place with the right permissions applied. didn't check dmesg (thanks for a hint). just didn't know about recovery mode available. so, i reinstalled ubuntu and now everything's fine.

• When I've found problems like that not explainable by the permissions, it's always turned out to be a SELinux restriction. /var/log/messages would say something to that effect. I haven't been interested in learning how SELinux works, so my solution has always been to disable it.